Sunday, September 19, 2010

Yes, I really am serious...

A statement on the welcome page of my website (http://www.lauraip.net/) reads:

"If I am elected, I will commit to holding – at minimum – semi-annual ward meetings to share information about what’s happening in the City and to hear your concerns. I will have more meetings if there is interest/a specific time-sensitive issue.

"My primary commitment to you is communication."

And, yesterday, I tweeted (Twitter: LauraIp4Council) that I would commit to the above.

I have received several e-mails asking if I'm serious.

Yes. I am.

I imagine that some of the questions have come from sheer disbelief. "What's this? A councillor says they'll communicate with us? Impossible."

Having worked in and for municipal government for a number of years, as well as having been a taxpaying resident for a lengthier period of time. I understand the frustrations that residents have when they don't get responses from their councillors (as has also happened to me) or when they feel like the only news about what's happening at City Council comes from the media (with their limited space for reporting the issues), or their neighbours (who may not have the information entirely correct).

If I am elected, one of the few promises that I can make (without requiring six other people to agree with me) is that I will hold - at minimum - semi-annual ward meetings to communicate with residents and give them the opportunity to ask me questions. If there are opportunities to have others there who can also answer questions about particular issues, I will pursue that as well.

I'm currently thinking that these meetings might take place in March and November, but that remains open to discussion, change, etc.

As well, if necessary, I will hold other meetings from time to time to address issues that may be contentious in a timely manner.

So, when I say that my primary commitment to you is communication...yes, I am serious.

http://www.lauraip.net/
lauraipforstgeorgesward@gmail.com
Facebook: Laura Ip for St. George's Ward
Twitter: LauraIp4Council

No comments:

Post a Comment