Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014 gets off to a start I wasn't anticipating

It was months ago when people began asking what my intentions were for the 2014 general election, and while I was leaning toward running, I was still immersed in the decision-making process.




Just as for any other potential candidate, there are a number of things to consider, particularly with respect to family and other time commitments, and I never throw myself into something to which I am not certain I can give my very best.

While I have a lengthy list of things that I am involved with, including raising a family, this doesn't mean that I have any less time than any other candidate who holds down a full-time job, is raising a family, and is involved in the community. The list is lengthier, yes; the time commitment is not necessarily more.

Then, on December 31, 2013, as I was reading The Standard on-line, the story about Greg Washuta's resignation broke. I immediately started receiving e-mails asking what this meant for me and expressing hope that I would be appointed to a seat on City Council. The e-mails, calls and texts have not let up since that time.

I immediately contacted my Graduate Program Director to discuss timelines, etc. with respect to my studies. She took the time to meet with me on New Year's Day, and we came up with a plan in case my appointment to Council became a reality. It is the same plan that we'll implement if I am not appointed but win a seat in the 2014 general election and - not to confuse matters - the plan will work if I am both appointed for the remainder of this term and then carry over into the 2014-2018 term.

On Thursday morning, The Standard called me for their story on what to do about the vacancy left by Greg Washuta's resignation, and I told Bill Sawchuk that I would certainly take the appointment if that was the decision Council made.

Following that, I was interviewed by Jim Fannon on the Tom McConnell show on Friday morning.

Here is the audio for that interview. It's well worth listening to from 11:15 all the way through to 51:00, then again from 1:24:10 to 1:25:00, 1:28:20 to 1:30:00, and 1:36:45 to 1:38:20.

As always, I welcome your thoughts on all of my blog entries and the issues in St. Catharines.

No comments:

Post a Comment