Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Re-introducing myself

It's been four years since I last formally introduced myself to St. George's ward and the City of St. Catharines, so I thought I should re-introduce myself and provide you with the list of qualifications that make me the best choice on October 27.

I live in St. George's ward of St. Catharines with my family. My children attend the local French public school, while I complete my research year for my Master's degree at Brock University.

I am employed as a teaching assistant and occasional research assistant at Brock University; as a Continuing Education Instructor at Niagara College; and I teach on-line for Canadore College. All of my employment is part-time and permits me to do the vast majority of my work from home and on my own schedule.

Prior to making the decision to pursue my Hons. B.A. (with distinction) in Sociology, I started my career as the right hand, so to speak, to an eight member senior management team for a company that manufactured fiberglass reinforced products. From there, I moved on to a local human resources firm as their project co-ordinator. Then, before moving into a public sector position, I was the office manager and then consultant for a local public relations firm. While working for the PR firm, I worked on several successful projects that involved communications and co-ordination between all levels of government.

While working for a local municipality, I was responsible for public relations, research and special initiatives for two mayors, a city manager, and the senior management team. I worked closely with all of these people, as well as councillors and attended meetings and other events to speak on behalf of the mayor or city manager. I developed both the Orientation package for the incoming city councillors after the 2003 election and the corporate public relations strategy.

Following my work with the PR firm and local municipality, I ran my own event planning and public relations business for five years before making the decision to pursue more education.

I have an in-depth understanding of how municipal politics and administration currently operate and how they can improve.

My community involvement has been varied over the years, including the following:
  • Cowork Niagara - member, committee volunteer - 2014-present
  • Niagara Workforce Planning Board - Board of Directors - 2014-present
  • St. George's Ward Association - Organizer - 2014-present
  • Big Brothers Big Sisters Bowl for Kids Sake - 2014
  • Canadian Blood Services - repeat donor - 2014
  • Niagara Social Justice Forum - Organizing Committee - 2013
  • Tough Mudder participant/fundraiser for Wounded Warrior Project - 2012 & 2013
  • Ontario Trillium Foundation - Niagara Grant Review Team - 2009 to 2012
  • RONA MS Bike Tour (Niagara) - 75km fundraising ride - MS Society of Canada - 2009 - 2011
  • St. Catharines Standard - Community Editorial Board/Niagara Voices - 2009 to 2010
  • Mayor’s Committee on Community and Race Relations - Event Chair - 2007 to 2009
  • Quest Community Health Centre - founding Board member; Secretary/Treasurer - 2006 to 2009
  • Mommy Talk - Founder - 2005 to 2007
  • Niagara Entrepreneur of the Year Awards - Public Relations Chair - 2003 to 2004
  • St. John Ambulance Therapy Dog Program - Public Relations Co-ordinator - 2001 to 2003
  • Canadian Cancer Society - Niagara Unit - Media Relations/Promotions Convenor - 1998 to 2001
My education, which most notably (for our purposes here) includes certification in Municipal Administration from the Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks and Treasurers of Ontario, also includes:

Brock University
- Pursuing Master of Arts degree in Sociology - 2014 (anticipated)
- Hons. B.A. in Sociology, graduating with first class honours and distinction - 2012

Leadership Niagara (Inaugural Group) - 2007
- Community Project was called Weaving Strengths and brought together several dozen community leaders to discuss community collaboration

Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks and Treasurers of Ontario
- Municipal Administration Certification - 2006

Niagara College of Applied Arts & Technology
- Teaching Adults Certificate - 2010
- Municipal Administration Program - 2004
- Management Development - Effective Leadership - 2004
- Ontario Management Development - Leadership Skills - 2003
- Executive Office Administration - 1998

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions by e-mail at lauraipforstgeorgesward@gmail.com or visit my Facebook page. My LinkedIn profile can be found here

Fine print:

Laura Ip's Election Campaign (“The Campaign”) has made every reasonable effort to ensure that the information displayed on this website/blog is accurate and responsible. The Campaign does not accept responsibility, or legal liability, for information that may have become incorrect, or misleading due to the passage of time or other conditions. Every reasonable effort is made to keep all information displayed current and up to date. To the best of our knowledge information is accurate at the time of writing and publication. Any opinions expressed on this website/blog are given without prejudice.

No comments:

Post a Comment