Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Special interest groups?

More than a few times, I've heard that I support/represent some special interest group(s), and that my support of these groups would "pollute" Council or some other such thing.

Every time I hear this, I laugh, because if I do support/represent some special interest group(s), then someone needs tell me what they are, as I am definitely missing some meetings.

So, when I hear this assertion about special interest groups, I play a game where we try to identify what those groups are.

Is it:
women?
teachers?
mothers?
Master's students?
redheads?
cyclists?
people who like to workout?
Coworkers?
vegans?

I'm betting it's vegans. It has to be. So, here's what I'll do. I will promise not to bring forward any motions to try to outlaw bacon in the City of St. Catharines. I promise.

In all seriousness, though, here is the list of organizations I do or have supported, either through fundraising or volunteer work:

  • Pearl Gloves (to benefit the Niagara chapter of the MS Society) - in training - 2014 (fight in November)
  • Big Brothers Big Sisters Bowl for Kids Sake - 2014
  • Startup Niagara - Member - 2014-present
  • Canadian Blood Services - repeat donor - 2014
  • Cowork Niagara - Member - 2013-present
  • Niagara Social Justice Forum - Organizing Committee - 2013
  • Tough Mudder participant/fundraiser for Wounded Warrior Project - 2012 & 2013
  • Ontario Trillium Foundation - Niagara Grant Review Team - 2009 to 2012
  • RONA MS Bike Tour (Niagara) - 75km fundraising ride - MS Society of Canada - 2009 - 2011
  • St. Catharines Standard - Community Editorial Board/Niagara Voices - 2009 to 2010
  • Mayor’s Committee on Community and Race Relations - Event Chair - 2007 to 2009
  • Quest Community Health Centre - founding Board member; Secretary/Treasurer - 2006 to 2009
  • Mommy Talk - Founder - 2005 to 2007
  • Niagara Entrepreneur of the Year Awards - Public Relations Chair - 2003 to 2004
  • St. John Ambulance Therapy Dog Program - Public Relations Co-ordinator - 2001 to 2003
  • Canadian Cancer Society - Niagara Unit - Media Relations/Promotions Convenor - 1998 to 2001


  • As always, please don't hesitate to contact me through the blog, via e-mail: lauraipforstgeorgesward@gmail.com, through my Facebook page: Laura Ip for St. George's Ward, or on Twitter: @L__Ip. I'd love to hear your feedback.

    1 comment: