Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Introduction/Biography

I am the married mother of two young children, so I know the challenges of raising a family in this economic climate. One of my children attends Ecole L'Heritage and the other is in a home childcare environment, while I continue to pursue my studies at Brock University and teach at Niagara College.

I also have considerable government-related experience.

Through previous employers, I have worked with and for all levels of government. While working for a local municipality, I was responsible for public relations, research and special initiatives for two mayors, a city manager, and the senior management team. I worked closely with all of these people, as well as councillors and attended meetings and other events to speak on behalf of the mayor or city manager. I also developed the Orientation package for the incoming city councillors after the 2003 election.

While working for a local public relations firm, I worked on several successful projects that involved communications and co-ordination between all levels of government.

As far as I am aware, I am the only candidate going into the election (who is not an incumbent) who has a working knowledge of municipal government before first taking a seat at the Council table. With my work experience and education, I have an in-depth understanding of how municipal politics and administration currently operate and how they can improve.

My community involvement has been varied over the years, including the following:
  • Ontario Trillium Foundation – Niagara Grant Review Team (2009 – Present)
  • MS Society Rona MS Bike Tour (75km fundraising ride) (2009, 2010, more to come)
  • St. Catharines Standard – Community Editorial Board/Niagara Voices (2009 – 2010)
  • Mayor’s Committee on Community and Race Relations (Event Chair) (2007 – 2009)
  • Greater St. Catharines Community Health Centre (founding member and Secretary/Treasurer) (2006 – 2009)

My education, which most notably (for our purposes here) includes certification in Municipal Administration from the Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks and Treasurers of Ontario, also includes:

Brock University
- Pursuing Sociology degree, with a concentration in Social Justice and Equity Studies, with graduate work planned

Leadership Niagara (Inaugural Group) 2007
- Community Project was called Weaving Strengths and brought together several dozen community leaders for community collaboration

Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks and Treasurers of Ontario
- Municipal Administration Certification (2006)

Niagara College of Applied Arts & Technology
- Teaching Adults Certificate (2010)
- Municipal Administration Program (2004)
- Management Development - Effective Leadership (2004)
- Ontario Management Development - Leadership Skills (2003)
- Executive Office Administration (1998)

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions by e-mail at lauraipforstgeorgesward@gmail.com or visit my Facebook page.

Fine print:

Laura Ip's Election Campaign (“The Campaign”) has made every reasonable effort to ensure that the information displayed on this website is accurate and responsible. The Campaign does not accept responsibility, or legal liability, for information that may have become incorrect, or misleading due to the passage of time or other conditions. Every reasonable effort is made to keep all information displayed current and up to date. To the best of our knowledge information is accurate at the time of writing and publication. Any opinions expressed on this website are given without prejudice.

No comments:

Post a Comment