Saturday, October 2, 2010

Business Background for Councillors...Necessary or Not?

Some candidates in this election campaign are heavily touting their business background and insisting that it is a must-have in order to be an effective councillor/decision-maker for how tax dollars are spent.

I am not going to argue that business experience isn't important or relevant. I have some business experience, as I teach management/business courses for Niagara and Canadore (on-line) colleges, and I have taught these courses on-line for Humber college as well. Additionally, I owned and ran my own small event planning/public relations business for five years, which saw continual growth until I decided to close it so that I could pursue other interests.

What I also have that others may not (or may not have as much of) is experience working with and for government, particularly in municipal government. Additionally, I have Municipal Administration certification. I understand how both the politics and the bureaucracy work.

Further, I have been extensively involved in the community with both small and large organizations.

I would argue that a candidate who is well-rounded in their experience - business, community, government - is a more valuable candidate than one whose focus is strictly business.

No comments:

Post a Comment