Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Speaking Notes from Debate

Unfortunately, I can't direct you to a link to watch or listen to the debate, as The Standard was only able to broadcast live and not record due to technology limitations at the Dunlop Drive Seniors Centre. Thank you to The Standard for live streaming, as I have received some positive feedback about the debate, so people were watching.

The bit that I can do with respect to the debate is post my opening and closing remarks, as well as other notes that I made in preparation for the evening.


Speaking Notes
St. George’s Ward Debate – October 13, 2010

Opening Remarks
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for coming out this evening to learn more about your options for Election Day.
My name is Laura Ip, and I am confident that I will exceed your expectations of a councillor for St. George’s Ward and St. Catharines.
Through previous employers, I have worked with and for all levels of government.
While working for a local municipality, I was responsible for public relations, research and special projects for two mayors, a city manager and the senior management team.
Currently, I teach part-time at Niagara College – and have done so for 10 years – and on-line for Canadore College.
I hold a diploma and several certificates from Niagara College, am currently working on a Sociology degree at Brock University, and – most importantly if you give me the opportunity to represent you at the Council table – I have my municipal administration certification from the Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks and Treasurers of Ontario.
I have an in-depth understanding of how both municipal politics and administration operate.
My community involvement has been extensive over the years, including the Ontario Trillium Foundation, the annual RONA MS Bike Tour, the Mayor’s Committee on Community and Race Relations, and I was also a founding board member for the Greater St. Catharines Community Health Centre (now Quest Community Health Centre).
I am running because voters deserve a real choice. I clearly fit a different demographic than any of the other candidates here; a demographic that is sorely in need of representation at the Council table.
We need balance in gender, age and background at the Council table. We need a Council that is truly representative of the people of St. Catharines. Where possible, we need all age groups represented, we need women and men, we need councillors who understand the current challenges of residents with young families, and we need councillors who experience some of the same financial challenges as most of the residents in the City.
I am the only candidate in this ward who has demonstrated a serious commitment to communication. You won’t see election signs with my name on them, because they are distracting to drivers. Further, the City has made a commitment to be more environmentally responsible. As such, I think candidates should demonstrate the same commitment. I hope other candidates will follow suit and adopt a green approach in future elections.
However, while I may not have a presence through signage in high-traffic areas, I am the only one with a solid on-line presence, and I have opened myself up to all comments on my blog and website.
By being accessible on-line, I have given voters the opportunity to learn more about me at their convenience. For those I was not able to speak with at their door, they were able to access my website and blog to learn more about me than I could possibly put into a brochure.
I am the only candidate in this ward who has responded to every survey, question from the media, e-mail and phone call that has been addressed to all of the candidates.
If you choose to elect me, I will work hard for you. For those of you who I was able to speak with at your door, I have taken note of your concerns, and I will ensure that the issues you’ve raised are addressed by the City. Regardless of the outcome on October 25th, I will submit all of your issues to the Mayor, because I believe they are important and need to be addressed.
I listen and respond, because I firmly believe that your concerns are relevant.
I’ve heard from voters that they are looking for change at the Council table. Here’s your chance. In St. George’s ward, I offer a distinct choice.
I appreciate the opportunity to speak with you, and I eagerly anticipate this evening’s questions.
Thank you.


Closing Remarks
Thank you, everyone for attending this evening.
I appreciate that you took the time out of your schedule to come here to listen to each of us speak about just a few issues. I sincerely hope that we’ve been able to provide you with enough information that you feel you can make an informed decision on Election Day.
The future of this city requires that every voice be heard. I believe that everyone in our community, regardless of age, gender or background deserves a voice. Through me, you will always have a voice.
If I am elected, I commit to holding at least semi-annual ward meetings, where we can share information as a group...as a community. If the issues that are being dealt with at Council call for it, I will hold more meetings. I will hold these meetings at my expense, not yours.
If I am elected, you will not be left in the dark.
I will bring balance in decision-making to Council, and I will fight against decisions being made in a vacuum.
At the municipal level, it is dangerous to make campaign promises, as you need a majority of Council for any plan to come to fruition.
What I can promise you is that you will not be disappointed in the amount of time and effort that I will put into this job.
I promise to communicate with you throughout the entire four year term.
I promise to make decisions based on what’s best for my constituents and the City, even if they are in conflict with my personal opinion.
I promise to educate myself and conduct thorough research before making decisions.
I promise to consider the long-term benefits and impacts of decisions made for the city.
I promise to respond to every one of your concerns in a timely manner.
I promise to be a strong voice for St. George’s ward and for St. Catharines.
And I promise that I will do this job as you expect it to be done.
Residents have been saying that they want change in the City. If you want change, you have to show up. Residents have to show up to vote, and in helping you to create that change, I promise to show up where I’m needed – at Council and Committee meetings.
Whatever you decide on Election Day, be sure that you are voting for the people you believe will truly represent you the best, communicate with you the most effectively, and work the hardest on your behalf.
Thank you.


Other Notes
Long-term Vision
For St. George’s ward and the City of St. Catharines, I commit to working toward:
w  Moving St. Catharines forward in the most affordable way possible: We need to undertake some projects in our effort to move the city forward and draw interest from outside the City; however we need to be much more creative in how we finance those projects. Provincial and federal funding is still our money. We need to be properly investigating potential private partnerships.
w  Creating a more sustainable, accessible and integrated transportation network for St. Catharines and the region: We’ve talked about a regional transit strategy for far too long; we need to make it happen. At the same time, we need to be taking the necessary steps to ensure that our communities are accessible for everyone, including cyclists, pedestrians and people using assistive devices.
w  Reducing duplication in services and make St. Catharines more attractive to new business: I agree with the Chamber of Commerce that there is too much duplication between municipal and regional governments. I don’t know that one Niagara is the answer, or that it can even be done by 2012, but I do know that 13 municipalities and a regional government is far too much. We need to streamline policies; and we have both too many municipalities and too many councillors in Niagara.
w  Implementing programs to educate residents about services and programs offered in the City; and creating partnerships with agencies that provide services to marginalized groups (homeless, newcomers, etc.): I am not going to suggest that we have enough resources going into social and environmental programs in St. Catharines; however my work as a volunteer on the Niagara Grant Review Team for the Ontario Trillium Foundation has shown me that we do have a number of resources; many of which people don’t know about or don’t know they are eligible to access.
w  Making St. Catharines a desirable location for residents of all ages, as well as the city of choice to do business: We need to be more aggressive as a city about implementing projects and policy that will not only make St. Catharines a desirable location for current residents to stay, but also to attract new residents and to let businesses know that we are interested in welcoming them to set-up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment