Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Opponents' Election Signs

I've received a number of comments about the fact that I am not using election signs in this campaign. It's been about a 50/50 split between concern for the perceived disadvantage I am putting myself at and commending me for my small effort to not impact the environment and run on my own merits, rather than on how many signs I can place around the ward.

Here's what I've noticed about my opponents' signs as I've been canvassing or driving around the ward:

1) There aren't many of them; and
2) They are mostly placed on public or commerical property or with the permission of residents who live on high-traffic corners.

I have seen very few lawn signs throughout the ward; very few small signs simply placed on a voter's lawn in support of the candidate.

I visited a house the other night that is on the corner of a busy intersection. When I spoke to the resident, I acknowledged that they had another candidate's sign on their lawn, to which the resident responded, "Oh, that doesn't mean I'm voting for him; he just asked us if he could put it there."

So, yes, the others are savvy in the placement of their (mostly large) signs in high-traffic areas, but it doesn't appear to mean that they have the support of those who are displaying them.

No comments:

Post a Comment