Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Upcoming Story about Transit

The Standard sent an e-mail request to all candidates today that read as follows:


Hi candidates! If you'd like to comment for a story on city transit, please respond by 4:30 p.m. today. The question: Does city transit, particularly routes and frequency, need to improve? If so, what should council do to improve it?

I'm also working on a Hot Topics story for Thursday on job creation. I'll need your responses by 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday. The question is simple: what can you, as a city councillor, actually do to help bring jobs to St. Catharines?

My full response to the transit question was:

Yes, city transit routes and schedules need to improve. I know that some will say there's no point because very few people ride the bus, but I would argue that there are not more riders because the routes and schedules are not sufficient or appropriate for people to rely on transit to get to and from work, school, shopping, etc. Further, we have got to stop talking about regional transit and do it already. Well before the end of this upcoming four-year term, a system needs to be in place that will get residents to and from other municipalities - again, for jobs, school, etc. - on a reasonable schedule.

~~~~~


And, based on the initial story posted on The Standard's website, it appears I may have - again - been the only candidate in St. George's ward to respond. We'll see when tomorrow's full story is printed with all of the candidates' comments. As has been my practice, I will post the full story tomorrow.

Also, I will post my full response to the second question after tomorrow's deadline for answering has passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment