Friday, October 15, 2010

Please just vote...

I was out doing more canvassing the other day (nearly 3,000 houses so far), and - at the end of a really great conversation with a voter - I said, "so, please just vote on election day; preferably for me, but - most importantly - just vote."

I then received a good-natured scolding for saying "preferably for me". He said to me, "you don't ask them to vote for you; you tell them."

Here's where I'm coming from on the "preferably": Do I want to win this thing? You bet I do. I want to (figuratively) sneak up behind the incumbents, squeak through the middle and run away with the votes. That's what I want to do.

However, regardless of the outcome, what I really want is just for people to vote...even if it's not for me. If more people get out to vote and don't choose me, then at least more people will have spoken up for what/who they want.

So, yes, I would prefer you vote for me, but - more than anything - I just want you to vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment