Saturday, October 2, 2010

There is no east St. Catharines...?

I was having a conversation with a voter in St. George's ward a couple of weeks ago. She's lived in the ward all her life, and she is engaged and active in her community.

We were discussing a number of things that are going on in St. Catharines, when I made a reference to "east St. Catharines". She plainly said to me, "Laura, there is no east St. Catharines." I know that I looked at her quizzically, because I didn't have to say anything before she continued, "in St. Catharines, you hear about Port, the north end, downtown, south St. Catharines and west St. Catharies. You never hear about east St. Catharines."

This was reiterated to me by a woman with whom I spoke yesterday. She has never voted, because she feels that no one cares about east St. Catharines. She promised me that she will be voting in this election.

So, I ask you: Can you relate to this? Do you feel like east St. Catharines is forgotten about? What have your east St. Catharines (St. George's ward) councillors done for you?

I have been told by residents that the current councillors are not responsive to concerns. Is this true? I've never had a reason to call them.

Both of the incumbents have been on Council for a number of years. Are they doing their job effectively?

Think on it, comment if you would like, and then vote on October 25.

2 comments:

  1. If the city went "at-large" is this going to improve the representation in east St. Catharines?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sean

    I don't know that an at-large system could improve the current representation in east St. Catharines, although I do believe that an at-large system is a better system overall.

    I think the issue with representation in east St. Catharines is the interest, dedication, etc. of the councillors that are selected.

    There are, have been and always will be issues with representation if those who are selected to represent the population cannot or will not do the job to the level that it requires.

    ReplyDelete