Saturday, October 23, 2010

You don't have to spend a lot of money to do things right...

...or to do the right things.


I've been pretty budget-conscious throughout my campaign. I've had to be. Let's face it, I don't have the money to put a plane in the air with a banner behind it; I don't have the money for billboards; and even if I did think they were a good/responsible idea, I don't have the money to plaster the ward in signs (not that St. George's ward is plastered in signs, as some of the other wards are, which I think says something about the support for the other candidates).


I am just like the vast majority of the residents of this city. The money that comes in and goes out of my house makes a difference to me and my husband, and we do our best to ensure that we are spending it wisely.

Here's what I've done, along with how much it's cost me:
  • I have created and maintained a solid on-line presence, which - thanks to free tools (blog, Facebook and Twitter) and the help of a friend - cost me a mere $9.52 (the cost of the domain name: www.lauraip.net).
  • I printed 1,400 brochures on my own existing paper, with my own existing laser printer and toner. I'm going to say no cost, because they were purchased for my personal use several months ago and this ended up being one of my uses.
  • I had 3,500 brochures printed by a local print shop, which cost me $299.45.
  • Myself and a friend delivered all of the above-mentioned brochures door-to-door, which cost me nothing, because Stephanie is a great friend. Though, I'm sure we both have sore feet.
  • With the help of the graphic designer at Brock Press and two friends, I designed a second brochure. This cost me $56.50.
  • I then had 6,000 of those brochures printed, which cost me $464.43.
  • The Standard distributed these brochures to all of St. George's ward through their Friday, October 22 edition. This cost me $283.34.
  • I also paid $20.95 for my portion of the hall rental for our all-candidates debate for the ward, and I paid $135.60 for a hall rental for myself to have a sample ward meeting (as I've committed to holding at least semi-annual ward meetings throughout the four years that I sit on Council).
That's it. That's all of my expenses. I ran my entire campaign for a total of $1,269.79.

For those who are curious, campaign expenses were paid for out of my own money and a few donations from family and friends:
  • Friends = $200
  • Friend = $15
  • Friend = $5
  • Friend = $5
  • Family = $200
  • Family (through business) = $300
  • Me and my husband = $550
That's a total of $1,275.

Throughout the campaign, whether it be as I was knocking on doors or posting to my website, blog, Facebook or Twitter, I have received nothing but the most positive of feedback. I have answered every question that's been put to me, whether it's been at a resident's door, from the media, through a survey, e-mailed or a phone call. I believe that communication is paramount, and I don't think one needs to spend a lot of money to communicate effectively and assure voters that one will do a good job.

I am not running for Council because I am looking for any sort of prestige. I am not running for Council because I currently have long-term political aspirations (though I suppose they may come). I am running for Council because I want to try to make a difference for my family, my friends and the residents of this city.

When you vote on Monday (and please vote), give serious consideration to your options. Only vote for the person/people who you truly believe will work the hardest for you, communicate the most effectively with you, and represent you and this City as you deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment