Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Communication

I've received several compliments throughout the course of the campaign on my ability, desire and willingness to communicate. I appreciate those compliments, because positive, effective communication is of paramount importance to me.

I teach communication skills in the courses I teach for Niagara College and Canadore College (on-line), I try to always be cognizant of how I am communicating with my young children, my husband and others in my personal life, and it bothers me a great deal when others seemingly don't even try to communicate with no reasonable explanation for not doing so.

To date, I am the only candidate in St. George's ward who has tried to actively engage voters on-line. I have a Facebook page, a Twitter account, this blog, and a website, al of which freely accept comments from readers (Facebook, blog, website) or through which people can send me direct messages (Facebook and Twitter).

Additionally, I am the only candidate in the ward who has responded to every survey or media request sent to candidates. I have also responded to every e-mail and phone call in less than 12 hours.

Finally, as many of you know, I have committed to at least semi-annual ward meetings for the entire term, if I am fortunate enough to be selected by the voters as one of their representatives on October 25. If I am mot selected, I will still present the list of issues/concerns that voters have brought to my attention at the door to the Mayor's attention shortly after the election.

I appreciate the positive discussions/correspondence that I've had with so many of you, and I look forward to more of them over the next few weeks and - hopefully - the next four years.

1 comment:

  1. I received the following comment on my Facebook page in response to this blog, and I've posted it here (with the poster's permission), as he tried to post it here, but was unsuccessful:


    K Grout: Going to try and recreate my response here, since blogger won't be able to eat it...

    I think your use of social media and web communications is definitely setting the trend for St. Catharines. You are doing an outstanding job in this respect, in addition to your media relations activities, and your willingness to converse with community members and voters.

    One suggestion that I might make (and that you might already be implementing), is stressing to those that you come into contact with that they become potential advocates for you - essentially establishing a strong word-of-mouth-marketing network (WOMMa).

    Since you are at a slight disadvantage by not having physical signs, you can significantly enhance your web initiatives and door-to-door campaigning by using the WOMMa method.

    It is certainly an uphill battle towards the finish line, but your campaign will certainly be a case study to review the effectiveness of these tactics in a 2010 election.

    All that said, push on towards the finish line! Just over two weeks to go!


    Laura Ip for St. George's Ward: If you don't mind, I will try to post your comment to the same post on my blog.


    K Grout: no problem at all

    ReplyDelete