Sunday, October 10, 2010

If you want change, you have to show up

As I've been going to door to door to speak with as many voters as possible, the common refrain has been, "we need change."

I hope I've inspired a few non-voters to vote. I've been told that there's no one good to vote for (which has been a problem at all levels of politics for too long), and then I've engaged those individuals in conversation to be told at the end that I've changed their mind and they will vote this time...for the first time.

I've also spoken with more than a few people who have told me that they don't vote anymore. Two of them first had very lengthy conversations with me about their issues (all municipal) and how no one does anything about them and this is what has caused them to not vote anymore...because they don't feel that it makes any difference at all.

Here's the thing: In both of the scenarios above, if you want change, you have to show up. The only way to start to make changes is to show up to vote.

If you select me as one of your councillors, I promise to work on creating that change for you.

For St. George’s Ward and the City of St. Catharines, I commit to working toward:
  • Moving St. Catharines forward in the most affordable way possible
  • Creating a more sustainable, accessible and integrated transportation network for St. Catharines and the region
  • Reducing duplication in services and make St. Catharines more attractive to new business
  • Implementing programs to educate residents about services and programs offered in the City
  • Creating partnerships with agencies that provide services to marginalized groups (homeless, newcomers, etc.)
  • Making St. Catharines a desirable location for residents of all ages, as well as the city of choice to do business
In my approach to work for and with you, I will:
  • Communicate with you throughout the four-year term
  • Make decisions based on what’s best for my constituents and the City, even if they are in conflict with my personal opinion
  • Educate myself and conduct thorough research before making decisions
  • Consider the long-term benefits and impacts of decisions made for the city
  • Hold semi-annual ward meetings for residents to ask questions, voice concerns, etc. 
More than anything else, in working to create the change that you're looking for, I promise to show up and be on-time. I can't make change if I don't show up.

You promise to show up to vote; and I promise to show up to Council and Committee meetings (and be on-time for those meetings).

No comments:

Post a Comment